Skip to main content

What is Your Addiction?




Do you have any addictions?  What are they?   Food, drugs, people, TV, work, attention, a person, cigarettes, exercise, sex...this list could go on and on...What is/was that trigger in your life that flipped that switch on for this addiction?  Have/has your addiction(s) played a role throughout your life or have/has it just showed made a dramatic entrance into your life?

I believe that addictions are cravings that have gone completely HAYWIRE!   One day you have an innocent craving for some savory/sweet something and the next thing you know, you are going out of your way to sacrifice life and limb to satiate the insatiable.

Then when your craving has "mutated" into a full blown addiction you start to loose your spirital voice...so this now "mutated"addiction has now become a toxic aura that acts as a thick veil isolating you from the rest of the world.  How and why did you get here?

Triggers...Somthing that occurs and in a moments time causes you to flashback to a time in your life that was horribly painful.  An incredibly vulnerable time in your life that caused you to feel powerless, useless, unloved and not worth "it", whatever that "it" may have been.  You've managed for so long to keep those feelings at bay...Of course this pain coincidentally showed up when you were having one of those innocent cravings.  You mix your drink, call that stranger for a little romp in the hay, order that food,  pop that pill, deprive yourself of the meal...Anything that can anaesthetize the overwhelming feeling of pain that just showed up.

We are given a couple of options when it comes to pain...deal with it or not.

When we don't deal, we feed our cravings because they temporarily help us feel better, but the key word here is temporarily.  Feed your craving-feel better for a spell and repeat - feed your craving - feel better for a spell and repeat-feed your craving -feel better for a spell and repeat - feed your addiction - feel unsatiated and repeat - feed your addiction - feel unsatiated and repeat.

Dealing with the pain hurts and we want to avoid it, but we don't realize that not dealing with it perpetuates it.  Not dealing with pain forces us to avoid self.  The thought of having to remove the pain mask and be faced with yourself is terrifying.  So for me dealing with my pain and facing myself meant/means being connected with my spirit.  Being prayerful, being present and honest with myself.

Turning to God/Universe/Spirit has over the years has given me the power to detach from my pain and release it. A pattern or way that I was living needed to change and get out of the way so that my dharma could present itself to the world.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Failure is Not Final

Such a simple statement, yet so profound, life changing even. A simple statement a co worker of mine made while sharing a story about his son who, by the way was telling his dad how that simple statement he made to him years prior was what seemed to always bring him back to his center. Failure is not final...So I get up everyday and do what I am supposed to do - wake up, shower, dress, make sure my kid is showered, dressed, fed and prepared for the day ahead, while I do the same for work. That is what i'm supposed to do. Yup, a run-on sentence that defines my day to day life of what is supposed to be. It's easy to do this daily dance because I am supposed to; the world expects it, so it is easy to fulfill. Failure is not really an option - I'm expected to work and be a mother. It's the responsible thing to do. So let's discuss what I yearn to do, my personal expectations and make that simple statement...failure is not final...Why has getting to that finish li...

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, With Love...

Dear moms, I have just had a lovely Mother's Day. My son lovingly woke me up this morning with this single rose, bear and card. He followed that up with the deepest hug and a slew of "why I am so lucky to have you as my mom" sweet nothings. I was done. My heart was bursting. He even blogged about it...Seriously He loves me unconditionally, wow! He loves me with every part of who he is and it is so beautiful and real. So why am I going on and on about this uninhibited show of affection from my child? I guess because I don't have this kind of love for myself. Yes, over the years, I've learned to "love me," but am still working on being in love with me. Loving me with zero inhibitions, blindly and completely unconditional. The big blessing of this day is that I am one of the lucky ones. Besides the obvious roof over my head, food in my belly, employment, internet, free will etc..., I get to be told everyday that I am loved. I get to look into my...

My Daddy

My father passed on November 11.   God that was an awful day.  Hearing/reading the words that my father was dead.  I was driving to work when I heard the news.  I thought I could go on with my scheduled day without issue.  I guess that was the part of me that wasn't really willing to process it.  Just go to work and check in later in the day with the family to make sure everyone is okay.  I really wanted and needed my mom at that moment, so I called her to let her know.  I didn't expect her to breakdown as much as she did.  I expected her sweetness and love and compassion, but not her heartache.  I believe that was the point I talked to each of my siblings.  Each of them feeling the weight of the very sudden absence of our dad. I spent the next week receiving love and condolences and flowers and more love and a multitude of stories about who my father was to people.  How he affected their lives, how he helped shape who th...