Skip to main content

Community





Who/What makes up your community?  Family, friends, coworkers, regular strangers on your bus route, your cyberworld, or maybe your four legged or dare I say no legged creature named_____...Do your individual/collective commmunities emotionally, spiritually, physically feed you?   In a time of crisis, how would your community respond?  Over the last few weeks, i've experienced the loss of a loved one in two different communities.

The first, was the accidental death of a young fourteen year old boy who was so close to my nephew that they really saw each other as brothers, so needless to say this was a devastating blow.  What made it even more tragic was how Noah's life was taken away.  A good friend of his accidentally shot him as they played with this kid's grandfather's gun.  So now instead of having lost one 14 year old life, another 14 year old life was/is changed forever.  Unfathomable trauma and pain.  Something I couldn't or wouldn't wish on my very worst enemy.  I prayed hard for both of these families.  I didn't want to wrap my heart or head around getting through it all.  How would these families survive this tragedy?

Less then 24 hours after Noah's death, his mother took to face book to write about her son, share her sadness, thank the people who were being supportive and the most powerful line in her post was...(friend's name here), I forgive you...I know it was an accident.  Please talk to me...I forgive you. This extended olive branch opened the doors of community to not only support Noah's family, but support the friend who was left to live with this accident.  Community embraced this boy and protected him from any outside attacks, critcism or scrutiny.  People in the community have also vowed to support this child by showing up to his hearing(s).  Powerful...

The second, not because it was less important but because both of these tradegies just happened so close to each other and in this order, was my friend Sally.  Ovarian Cancer was what stole her life from us at the tender age of 39.  Sally battled this evil disease for around 4 years of her life.  Sally grew up in Michigan with a challenging past that she worked as hard as she could to leave that world behind.  She came to Chicago and worked hard to become a successful producer at a worldwide Ad Agency.  This career afforded her the opportunity to travel the world and see and experience life in a way that very few in this world will ever get to do. She was a coworker of mine for over six years.

I was a part of Sally's work community and later became a part of her girlfriend community which consisted of a variety of women whom, over the last few her life did their best to provide emotional, spiritual and physical nourishment for her and her family.  Over the last few years I watched these girlfriends collaborate on fundraisers and cleaning services and visiting schedules and food and shopping and so forth and so on.  Sally's husband has/had even made strong connections with some of these ladies allowing them into his pain which I believe might be helping him cope.  Sally's mother also has/had leaned on the girlfriends for support.  I believe he girlfriends gave her insight on her daughter that Sally might have only shared with her closests girls.  Sally's girlfriend community was strong and supportive, which I believe represented her character.

This brings me to the point of this blog entry.  If tragedy ever struck, have I built enough of a community that would/could support me or mine through it all?  What would that suppport look and feel like?  Am I creating enough Sat Karma ( the positive karma that one earns through words and deeds) to ensure the community support that I might need?   Over the years, I have needed to lean on family, friends and even work to get me through some of lifes traumas or challenges.  I've been blessed to be able to pick up the phone and easily find a shoulder to cry on or even a roof over my head if things got that bad.  I'm blessed.  


The other part is the community that is made up of people that I don't know, but because of who I am associated with, they step in.  I watched that happen over and over again with Noah & Sally.  People who didn't know them personally, but knew of them wanted to attach themselves to thier communities. They wanted to help.  They wanted to contribute to their legacy.


What are you doing to ensure that your full circle is made up of a community of people who are proud to be associated with you.  Would your community be proud to contribute to your legacy?


Rest In Peace Noah & Sally





















Comments

  1. Ida, you have a very large community sister!! As I read this , tears flowing of course... Through your words , I was able to feel the love for Noah, his family, his friend, and Sally. Through their tragic endings , their legacies live on. I am so flag that Noah's friend has a community and family that has reached out to him...hopefully, this young man can move past his lost of friend, brother. Noah's mother is remarkable!!! Sally legacy will live on through her great great friends and through your words ! Thanks for sharing. I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being in the military, the community that i have established is my family. No matter where i am, or how far i am, my sisters, nephews, sons, husband and my brother have always been my most supportive and consistent community.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE SKIN I'M IN...

NYC-Embracing & Letting Go of This Skin  I 've  been desperately holding on to old shedding skins.  Skin that has puckered and worn out.  Skin that is snug in all the wrong places and increasingly more and more uncomfortable.  Skin that no longer serves me and is completely unrecognizable.  Skin that I've been terrified to let go of and allow to decompose because the new just felt/feels terrifying.  The new feels/felt so different.  I'm not even sure how to wear it or even approach this skin.  What part of me do I dress/address first...Do I start with putting it on from my head or my feet?  Or do I put it on like a front button down dress with at least 100 buttons that need attention?  I'm not sure how to wear this new skin.  I'm not sure how to approach this new skin,  so I've isolated myself more  than ever.  I've hid myself away but I find myself seeking to connect and be held; be in spaces with more than just me & this ill-fitting version of myse

Dear Single Mama!

The Early Years of Figuring It Out! You got this!   Yes, YOU GOT THIS!   I know you’re wrapping presents solo.   I know you might be feeling guilt because you couldn’t afford all the spoils for your babe(s).   I know you’re possibly pushing through some unhealed traumas, negative balances, uncertainty, exhaustion & being the safe space AKA emotional punching bag for said babes…whom you are also wracking your brain trying to figure out how to give them the world & keep them shielded from the perils of that same world including your ish…What am I saying?   You’re keeping your spinning plates going!   You’ve come so far!   Remember when you didn’t have right in this moment (job, an apartment, safety, a couple of extra dollars, food, new furniture, new friends, new love, school, accomplishments…) YOU have come so far!   YOU have done your very best to keep the fruit of your womb safe & supported.   So take a moment to honor yourself as you figure out how to make duct tape look

JESSICA HAMPTON #Sayhername

Jessica Hampton Mother - Daughter - WOMAN  She was on the Red Line train in the middle of the day this past June.  25 year old young woman Jessica Hampton, whom I read was working incredibly hard to get her life together.  She was learning to love herself again. She stopped drinking and was probably thinking of what her next steps to living her best life with & for her daughter who she has left behind...a six year old daughter. Jessica Hampton was loved by many.  She was on her way somewhere and she shook her head no to him and he stabbed her multiple times.  No one stepped in to help her.  People screamed and ran in the opposite direction.  People videotaped her death and took in her demise through a lens and did not step in to stop it. Like many women, she found herself with a man whose intentions for her ended up being violence at all costs.  This individual has gone to jail for this crime against a woman who simply said no to him and yes to herself.  Jessica's daught