Skip to main content

The Handy Dandy Self-Sabotage Machine

It's been to long since i've written last, trust me I know. I'm sorry about that. Really sorry to myself for giving in again to my handy dandy self-sabotage machine. I call it handy because it is always ready and available to take me down. It starts with this back and forth conversation with myself which, lucky me, is replayed over and over again in my head. "You've been here before and it is way to hard for you to get past this part, you can't do this." I wish that I was making that up, but that is a real sentence; a real feeling; a real mental recording that has lodged itself in my memory bank causing a complete and utter battleground in my head!

I've prayed, meditated, gone to therapy about this amazing ability of mine to sabotage myself right when I am about to make an astounding breakthrough. I look at it, smile and then do my best to pour salt over it all. I come so close. So close the universe starts giving me motivating nuggets, like people around me wanting to help me or friends who have realized their accomplishments/dreams inviting me to celebrate their journeys all the while cheering me on. I've been so close so many times. So close it felt like a dewy morning, smelling the morning mist, feeling it on my skin, but as soon as the sun comes up, the dew disappears like it never existed elusive and tragic at times.

See how it sounds like a well oiled machine? Ready to work whenever I feel an ounce of confidence and self assurance. It knows when to turn on and exactly what buttons to push to shut me down. What bums me out is that I haven't completely blow this damn machine to bits! I know I am a smart and able minded individual, so what's the deal? Why do I keep running up against this machine?

I am posting this to expose the Self Sabotage Machine! Exposing it in the hopes of breaking it down. If I share my problem, it doesn't feel as insurmountable. If I share this in a different kind of way by writing it, I can take away it's power...at least I hope I can.

Comments

  1. Hazvineyi B LucasJune 6, 2011 at 3:27 AM

    Self sabotage! A feeling I have well acquainted with! Always in limbo, waiting to become someone! Its difficult to live in the shadow of who I could be, when I am not sure who I am. I am so focused on the path ahead and what it may yield, I have stopped looking at the path I am on! I know what I need to do, look down at the path I am on and slowly move the pebbles that are tripping me and preventing me from moving forward. I am a cheerleader by nature, I love to see people rise because of my encouragement.... maybe that's my role, maybe my purpose is guidance, leading others on their paths. The question now is how do I embrace my purpose? How do I avoid self sabotage? HELP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow sis, I guess we share more than just DNA. So being an avid cheerleader myself, I am obviously going to give you advice that I kind of paid attention to myself, but it did help me find my purpose. I remember this thought and feeling of not knowing what I was put here to do. What started helping me was my morning unedited writing, prayer and meditation. Sounds simple, but dedicating time to yourself to understand yourself more is the trick. You have to convince yourself of that. Love you sis. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Failure is Not Final

Such a simple statement, yet so profound, life changing even. A simple statement a co worker of mine made while sharing a story about his son who, by the way was telling his dad how that simple statement he made to him years prior was what seemed to always bring him back to his center. Failure is not final...So I get up everyday and do what I am supposed to do - wake up, shower, dress, make sure my kid is showered, dressed, fed and prepared for the day ahead, while I do the same for work. That is what i'm supposed to do. Yup, a run-on sentence that defines my day to day life of what is supposed to be. It's easy to do this daily dance because I am supposed to; the world expects it, so it is easy to fulfill. Failure is not really an option - I'm expected to work and be a mother. It's the responsible thing to do. So let's discuss what I yearn to do, my personal expectations and make that simple statement...failure is not final...Why has getting to that finish li...

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, With Love...

Dear moms, I have just had a lovely Mother's Day. My son lovingly woke me up this morning with this single rose, bear and card. He followed that up with the deepest hug and a slew of "why I am so lucky to have you as my mom" sweet nothings. I was done. My heart was bursting. He even blogged about it...Seriously He loves me unconditionally, wow! He loves me with every part of who he is and it is so beautiful and real. So why am I going on and on about this uninhibited show of affection from my child? I guess because I don't have this kind of love for myself. Yes, over the years, I've learned to "love me," but am still working on being in love with me. Loving me with zero inhibitions, blindly and completely unconditional. The big blessing of this day is that I am one of the lucky ones. Besides the obvious roof over my head, food in my belly, employment, internet, free will etc..., I get to be told everyday that I am loved. I get to look into my...

THE SKIN I'M IN...

NYC-Embracing & Letting Go of This Skin  I 've  been desperately holding on to old shedding skins.  Skin that has puckered and worn out.  Skin that is snug in all the wrong places and increasingly more and more uncomfortable.  Skin that no longer serves me and is completely unrecognizable.  Skin that I've been terrified to let go of and allow to decompose because the new just felt/feels terrifying.  The new feels/felt so different.  I'm not even sure how to wear it or even approach this skin.  What part of me do I dress/address first...Do I start with putting it on from my head or my feet?  Or do I put it on like a front button down dress with at least 100 buttons that need attention?  I'm not sure how to wear this new skin.  I'm not sure how to approach this new skin,  so I've isolated myself more  than ever.  I've hid myself away but I find myself seeking to connect and be held; be in spaces with more than ...